In January 1913, W. K. Hatt, head of the School of Civil Engineering issued a call for a Civil Engineering Conference to cover the needs of county surveyors and city engineers. Roads and streets were heavily involved. A similar conference was held in 1914 at which a resolution was passed which called for a provision in the laws of Indiana that there be a yearly School of Good Roads. In 1915 the name of the Civil Engineering Conference was changed to the Purdue Road School.
The Purdue Road School consistently attracts over 2,000 Indiana local and state officials, consultants, and suppliers each year. An all-time record of 2,237 attendees was set in 2012! Important updates on pertinent transportation issues, as well as sessions on topics of general interest, are provided in the two-day conference. Road School also hosts regional meetings of several affiliated professional groups, such as the County Surveyors Association and the Indiana Chapter of the Institute of Transportation Engineers.